HIA Distance Ed Program Overview
The School of Data Science now offers a fully online version of our Graduate Certificate in Health Informatics and Analytics (HIA) through the Distance Education pathway.
In addition to the general requirements for admission to UNC Charlotte's Graduate School, the following are required for the Graduate Certificate in Health Informatics and Analytics:
- A bachelor’s degree, or its equivalent, from a regionally accredited college or university in computer sciences, health sciences, information systems, or a closely related field to Health Informatics and Analytics.
- Minimum GPA of 2.75 (based on a 4.0 scale) on all previous coursework completed beyond high school
- An online application through the Graduate School’s application system
- A statement of purpose
- Unofficial transcripts of all attempted college coursework
- Optional – Resume or CV
The priority application deadline for admission to the Distance Education is March 1st for all admission terms. Applications received on or before the priority deadline will be reviewed first and given first priority. The final application deadlines for admission are:
- Summer II Amission Final Deadline: June 1st
- Fall Admission Final Deadline: August 1st
Distance Education Tuition
Distance Education tuition rates vary based on residency. Residency for tuition purposes is decided by the North Carolina Residency Determination Service (RDS).
Students with NC residency for tuition purposes and non-NC residency for tuition purposes
Students with non-NC residency for tuition purposes, living outside of NC
More information about Distance Education Tuition & Fees can be found on the Niner Central website.
Plan of Study
The HIA Graduate Certificate Distance Education program is designed as a part-time program. Distance Education students are only eligible to take the five required HIA Graduate Certificate courses. The plan of study for the Distance Education program is listed below.
- Summer: HADM 6100
- Fall: HCIP 5376 and HCIP 6380
- Spring: HCIP 6102 and HCIP 6160
HIA Graduate Certificate Distance Ed students can choose to apply to move into the Master's program at any time. Completed courses with a grade of A or B can be transferred from the Certificate to the Master’s program. However, please note that the Health Informatics and Analytics master's degree is intended as a face-to-face program. Occasionally some courses may be offered online, but most classes will meet in person.
To receive authorization to register for Distance Education courses, HIA Graduate Certificate Distance Ed students will need to reach out directly to Carly Mahedy at email@example.com.